Friday, November 17, 2017

Validation Anniversary

One year ago today, I had surgery to remove endometriosis.  Well, I can't remember the exact date, but I know I had the surgery the Friday before Thanksgiving last year, and it's the Friday before Thanksgiving this year, so.....

Prior to the surgery, I'd spent 20 years insisting that something was wrong and begging and pleading with doctors to help me.  On this day last year, I got proof that there was indeed something wrong and that it wasn't all in my head.  I was validated.  All of those years of pain and misery suddenly had a cause.

Last year I couldn't make the 10-minute walk from the parking garage to my office without significant pain, and the three-hour blocks that I teach in were excruciating.  Exercise was out of the question.  Now I feel great.  I'm not completely pain-free, but I don't have much pain most of the time.  Walking from the parking garage to my office is no big deal.  Teaching in three-hour blocks is still taxing, but nothing like before.  I'm back to going to the gym 3-4 days a week and I'm doing things that I haven't been able to do in years.  I've also lost about 15 pounds which has been good for my self-esteem. 

Emotionally, I'm still very angry that I spent so long with nobody listening.  And I'm angry that this could have been a contributing factor to infertility and that if it had been addressed earlier in my life maybe we would have been able to have kids.  More globally, I'm angry that my experience isn't unique.  I'm angry that women's pain isn't taken seriously or is just plain brushed off.

Anyway, I'm feeling pensive today.  And so grateful that a doctor finally listened to me.  I really do feel like I have my life back.

5 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary! I’m so glad that you advocated for yourself and are benefitting from it today. It’s hard to do.

    And I completely understand the anger. You have every right to feel that way. May there be healing

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, it is still infuriating that doctors don't listen to women who are in pain. Our pain is simply less important than that of men, and it makes me seethe.

    I'm glad you were finally heard, and that you feel like you have your life back. That is to be celebrated, even if you shouldn't have to get to the stage where you need to celebrate. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary! I love that, validation anniversary. I'm glad it's meant all good things, and for you and your personal health. I wish more doctors just listened the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary! So glad someone (finally!) listened to you, & that you're feeling so much better now. But yeah, it shouldn't have to be this way. :(

    ReplyDelete