Monday, March 16, 2015

How penguins made me momentarily glad to not have children

A couple of weeks ago hubs and I went to our local zoo to see a penguin walk.  On the weekends over the winter, weather permitting, the zoo lets the penguins outside to walk around.  On Saturday the sun was shining and it was beautiful (and above zero degrees for the first time in over a week) so I convinced hubs to go and see the penguins.  We ended up getting there a little bit early and got to talking to this other couple who had been to the penguin walk before so they knew the best place to stand.  And the woman warned us that we'd have to hold our ground because people with strollers would try to push us out of the way.

Anyway, the penguins came out and ran around and it was hilarious and fascinating and we enjoyed it a lot.  Then a two penguins decided to have a "romantic moment" on full display for everyone to see.  As I watched so many parents scrambling to either explain what was going on to their kids or to shield their eyes from it, I was momentarily thankful to not have children and not have to worry about how I would address this situation.  Though having grown up on a farm I received a pretty early education on how babies are made and probably would have done a much better job explaining it then the parents did.

The Happy Couple
*****
Klara and Loribeth recently shared the stories of why they chose not not to adopt.  You can read their stories here and here.  I love that there are so many women bravely sharing their stories.

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is! I mean, you bring your kids to the zoo. With animals. Male and female animals. If you can't figure out that you might possibly see animals doing what animals do, you might want to not go to a zoo until your kids are older.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing Loribeth's and my NonAdoption story. It is lovely that our stories are out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome! I am so glad you arranged this whole thing to get the stories out there!

      Delete
  3. That is funny! Also, I never thought of the fact that in the freezing north, penguins could be let outside. But of course they can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have posted the video of them running. So funny!

      Also, after this winter, I'm beginning to think that seasons really are overrated and living someplace without winter might not be so bad!

      Delete